Getting “Formed” & The Ontario Mental Health Act

Sometime last year (2016), I spoke to Peel police because I was concerned that my husband was going to hurt himself but my family doctor didn’t believe I had enough evidence to get him “formed” by a medical professional. I was told that I could appeal to a judge and have him “formed” myself. I tried Googling the Mental Health Act and how to have someone “formed” and was still confused. It wasn’t until my husband went “missing” at the end of November, before a Peel police officer sat me down in my kitchen to explain to me in full how to have someone “formed.” I feel as though the Mental Health Act can be confusing if you’re not familiar with it so, hopefully, the loved ones of someone who may be experiencing a mental health crisis, will find this video helpful.

Form 2 is not a substitute for the advice of a doctor. If you can, call 9-1-1. But, sometimes, you might run into a situation where EMS, firefighters and/or police don’t feel they have enough to forcibly take someone to the hospital. You can ask your family doctor to have your loved one “formed” but if you don’t have the cooperation of your family doctor, you may need to speak to a Justice of the Peace. If there’s an real emergency, always call 9-1-1.

The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) site has a good explanation of some of the most commonly used forms under the Mental Health Act of Ontario:

You can find the actual Form 2 here:

CityNews Toronto clip about my husband, Jason:

For a more in-depth article from The Toronto Star: